Wednesday 7 January 2009

lab work days...

i had been really really superbly busy for the pass three days....i had been running some tests on my OWN DNA....i am keeping my fingers crossed that i am not a MUTANT! hopefully my DNA turn out alright! for the pass few days, a few of my classmates had been classified as mutants due to failure in producing results using their own DNA...luckily, i passed the first few stages... hmm...until now, we do not know the reasons for the failure...it could be the primers' problems, restriction enyzmes' problems or their plans' problem...not sure though...

i hoped that mine turn out fine for the next few tests...it'll all end on friday and we'll have to do a poster presentation about it....actually, blogging about the lab thingy does help! why? if i can't remember what i did in the methods, i can always refer to my blog...it'll somehow help me in recalling the moments in the lab...and what i had been doing...hahha! which is really useful....

below are a few pictures i had taken in the lab...


some of the reagents used...(i used more than 20 types of reagents...making me headache with all those calculations for diluting it! argh!!! ) hey! the first eppendorf tube contained my DNA!!!!


Almost all my samples...(i still have 3 master mixes, 1 DNA mix, 3 PCR water, 1 PCR Rxn buffer, 1 TBE buffer, EtBr, 4 standard ladder, 1 RE, 1RE buffer, 4 sample Ds, 1 Chelex, 1 BSA, and 1 Autoclaved water not included in the pictures.....)
blue coloured stuff is standard...pink ones are my DNAs....it took me 2 hours to see it moving....and 30 mins for staining, 10 mins destaining and incubation of a few hours...not including running PCR to optimise my DNA..


My DNA in the Gel Bag...i have to do four of these...


Finally, what i visualised..(i had 4 of these pics, but it's damn boring...useless to upload everything)
okie, i have finished my boring and uninteresting blog....i had no choice but to bored you guys to death with this because i can recall what i had done when i write a report out of it by refering to this piece of bull sh*tting blog....
COMPLAIN OF THE DAY:
i have some complaining to do....my coursemate almost scared me to death today....i was at the cafe, having my lunch while waiting for my gel to run, when she suddenly shout out my name (really loud and looking damn serious & concerned)....she asked me 2 questions (my friends having lunch with me saw the colour draining off my face the moment she called out my name) ..
1st question : Connie! Did you put your DNA for incubation along with the RE??!!!
1st answer : ......yes...(timidly and had a bad feeling that i had to redo it!)
2nd question: Oh my god! Did YOU do THAT?!
2nd answer : What's wrong with it??? i am not supposed to do that????
Her last reply : Oh, nothing's wrong with it...i am just wondering if you had done it..bye..
for the rest of the afternoon, my friends can't stop joking about the LOOK on my face...and her weird way of asking me stuff...
as for me....i think my heart had just stopped beating and i almost saw 'the light' at the end of the tunnel the moment she asked me that second question...(reason: if i did the wrong thing at that moment, i'll be wasting all my effort + time = have to redo everything = stupidly wasting my 3 days!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not tat boring lah~~ At least u remind me wat is RE, primer, PCR @#%$$!!!! Haha! Now u know ur future will be stucking in the lab and waiting for the gel electrophoresis to finish running!! Poor Girl~~~ haha! I'm not tat good also... had to wait for GC to finish analyse need long time too~~~ CHarm~~~ haha!

Aiya... forgot to wish u Happy New Year 2009!!! All da best...

connie said...

hahhah! happy new year to u too! we r both the same la...u wait for GC, i wait for gel...one bio, the other chemistry...but i hate GC a lot...hhahahha! looks like we'll be stuck with lab FOREVER! which i never thought i would be doing..i hate lab work...

Anonymous said...

Nah~~~ GC only take maybe one hour... ur gel is more longer time required!!! Haha! Don't worry, i don't think i'll stuck in lab, b'coz i gonna resign soon!!! Hate that Bitch too much~~~ Haha!