Sunday 5 July 2009

complicated, indecisive and confused..

Complicated is refering to the process of PhD application...especially when you wanted a fully funded PhD studentship.... most of the applications are only eligible to UK/EU students... Then, i started to look around for those in USA/Canada....

I RANDOMLY applied for PhD (which is the most stoopid thing to do)....I applied for two studentship... I received their replies straightaway after sending my CV...one saying the application is full and asking me to apply next year...the other one asking me for a full CV...

After sending my full CV and current transcript, he asked me for phone interview this coming tuesday... I am kinda SHOCKED because I never thought i would be asked for interview! (I am not surprised...i am SHOCKED)....

Seriously, the reason I applied for these two studentship is because they do not require me to send them a cover letter...or something like letter from referees...yes, yes...i KNOW I AM LAZY! that's just ME! argh! all I did when i applied for the studentship was click on upload (CV) and my email address....

I asked my supervisor for opinion about this university and guess what? It become worse! The news spread around so fast that some of the lecturers gave me some names and name cards asking me to call them up for more PhD studentship! They gave me names from Thailand, Australia, Germany, US and even UK....They told me about their relationship with the other professors and they are willing to take in student...One of the lecturer even found an application form for funding me in LJMU itself!

She said she'll see if that funding applies to international student and she really wanted me to stay!

I know it sounds like a good news, but I am getting the pressure! I don't know what to do and I think I did the wrong thing by asking the opinion from my supervisor the first place..(that's how the news spread)...

MORAL OF THE STORY :

1 NEVER EVER APPLY FOR PHD UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN!
2 DONT ASK FOR OPINION UNLESS NECESSARY
3 DON'T BE A LAZY A*SE LIKE MYSELF...DON'T RANDOMLY APPLY PHD BECAUSE NO COVER LETTER/LETTER FROM REFEREES REQUIRED

Lesson learned:
I am the poophead this time...serves me right!
now, i have to learn about bioartificial pancreas just because of that interview...sob sob...i learned my lesson the HARD way...

2 comments:

shirley. said...

when is ur interview? god luck o! i know u can do it!!!

FM Luder said...

It amazes me sometimes when I read this blog. I do two things in your post, same as you, and we/you really shouldn't do it.

1) Being lazy when applying for things, e.g. jobs, universities. I signed up to a thing where employers and agents contact ME haha so I don't have to do anything. Just sit there and wait - so lazy! Maybe the best opportunity won't come that way.

2) Feeling like you HAVE to do something because of XYZ. NO! You don't HAVE to do anything! If you want to put yourself in reverse gear then we should do it. Everyone else does. As long as you don't do it too often, only when you feel you definitely need to. So get in R gear if you're uncertain!